What to put under dish drying rack, that’s the topic of this post.
What can i put under a dish drying rack in order to drain water from it.
It can be a drying mat or a drain board as they are the two items used for a dish rack.
In a dish rack or dish drying rack as some do call it, there are many varieties of it. They include the followings;
- Over the sink dish rack
- Countertop dish rack
- In sink dish
- Collapsible dish rack
- Wall mounted or hanging dish rack
- Rollup or foldable dish drying rack
Some of the dish rack listed above doesn’t require or need a drying mat or a drain board, the drain directly into the sink.
For example, the likes of over the sink drying rack doesn’t need a drying mat or a drain board as it is built in such a way that water drip directly into the sink.
Below is an example of over sink dish rack.
Looking at the picture above, you’ll see that there’s no need for a drying mat or a drain board. Water goes down into sink and that is why it is recommended to measure your sink before buying an over the sink dish rack.
Another similar dish rack like the over the sink is the roll-up drying rack, it is placed on top of the sink and you drain your dishes or other items by placing them on the drying rack.
A typical example of rollup dish rack is below;
As you can see, both the rollup and over sink dish rack doesn’t require a drain board or a drying mat. However, in the case of countertop dish drying rack, wall mounted dish drainer, foldable dish rack needs a drain board or a drying mat.
This is where this question on what to put under dish drying rack comes to effect.
Note that for in sink dish drying rack, it doesn’t require a drain board as you’ll have to place it right inside the sink, and water drips into the sink. But if you want to use it as a countertop dish drying rack, then you’ll have to get a drying mat or a drain board or drip tray as we can also call it.
Below is an example of an in sink dish rack.
Above picture is an in sink dish rack with an utensil holder, very good for small kitchen or no counter space. As you can see, the dish rack is placed right inside the sink, and in this doesn’t require or need a drying mat or a drain board.
The in sink dish rack can also be used as a countertop and this is where you have to get a drying mat or a drain as the question is what to put under dish drying rack.
What to put under dish drying rack
Like I said, there are two items to put under dish drying, and they are as follows;
- Drying mat
- Drain board
As long as dish rack is concerned, these are the two things you need in order to drain water from the dishes using the dish rack unless you have an over the sink, in sink or a rollup dish rack.
1. Drying Mat
A drying mat is mat used to collect pores of water on your dishes after washing them. They are made of microfiber or silicone and they don’t above water.
After you’re done washing your dishes, you place them on the drying mat faced down in order to enable water drip onto the mat. When the dishes are dry, remove them from the drying mat and into the kitchen cabinet, and afterwards drip the water on the mat into the sink.
If you want to use a dish rack, then you’ll have to place the rack above the drying mat. With this water will drop from the dish rack and onto the drying mat.
This is one of the answer to what to put under dish drying rack.
Drying mat are not just to dry dishes, you can as well use them in drying fruits and vegetables or other items if you don’t want to use a dish drying rack.
Types of drying mat
As this concerns this question on what to put under dish drying rack, I want to let you know of the types of drying mat we have.
- The silicone drying mat
- Microfiber drying mat
1. The Silicone Drying Mat
This is a type of drying mat made of silicone which looks similar to a plastic body. They are usually lightweight and looks very delicate.
A silicone drying rack doesn’t absorb water, but rather leave water on its surface. It is left for the user to use a towel and clean off the water or drip it into the sink.
As you’re looking for what to put under dish drying rack, silicone drying mat is a good buy for you and you need to be careful not to buy a fake or poor quality one.
One major thing I like about the silicone drying mat is that they are easy to clean than microfiber drying mat. As they are easy to clean, they dry up easily without much stress from the user.
Silicone drying mat is one of the answer to the question on what to put under dish drying rack and, some of the best silicone drying mat include the followings.
1. OXO Good Grips Large Silicone Drying Mat
Large Silicone Drying Mat
- Sized to fit large items such as 12″ frying pans, platters, salad bowls and more
- Unique ribbed design helps dry items by maximizing drainage and aeration
- Soft, non-slip surface protects delicate items like stemware and is easy-to-clean
- Flexible silicone Mat can be rolled up or hung for storage
- Made of food-safe silicone
Dimension: 3 x 13.2 x 6.5 inches
Weight: 1.1 pounds
Body Type: Silicone
The OXO Good Grips Large Silicone Drying Mat is one of the best drying mat you can buy in the market, and I love the fact that the mat is large in size, will fit large dish drying racks or so many dishes.
The silicone body is solidly built and very elastic, and I love the ribbed design on the drying mat. With this air passes into the dishes or other kitchen items and this in turn helps to dry faster.
The best part is that OXO Good Grips Large Silicone Drying Mat is heat resistant and up to 425 °F/215 °C. You can easily clean off the drying mat without much of effort or pressure.
What to put under dish drying rack?
The OXO Good Grips Large Silicone Drying Mat is there for you.
2. XXL Silicone Dish Drying Mat
Strong Drying Mat
Brand: Tortuga Home Goods
Dimension: 23 x 18 x 0.25 inches
Weight: 1.25 pounds
Body Type: Silicone
One of the best drying rack for you on what to put under dish drying rack is the large and superior Tortuga Home Goods silicone drying mat.
Very elastic and large in size.
With a dimension of 23 x 18 x 0.25 inches tells you how large this drying mat is, perfect for bamboo dish racks and other dish drying rack that doest have its drain board or drip tray.
Just like the OXO drying mat, this featured a soft silicone ridges which are perfectly spaced to allow easy cleaning, air movement and stability for dishes and other items.
As silicone drying mat is heat resistant, so as Tortuga Home Goods mat. The heat resistant is up to 450 degrees and that’s why they are multifunctional.
Some other good quality drying mats include the followings;
2. Microfiber drying Mat
Another type of drying mat good for what to put under dish drying rack is the microfiber dish mat.
This type of drying mat absorb water from dishes or any other wet items placed on it and you won’t see water on the surface of your sink or countertop. As the name suggests, microfiber already tells you the type of material used in making this type of drying mat.
The microfiber drying mat requires a lot of cleaning especially when it gets dirty, however, you can use a washing machine to wash it though it depends on the material used for it.
Going by the question on what to put under dish drying rack, buying a microfiber drying mat is a good buy for you.
Some good quality microfiber drying mat for what to put under dish drying rack includes the followings;
1. KDIJET Dish Drying Mat
Set of 3 XXL-XL-L drying mat
- 【⭐ Creative Set of 3】: XXL 24 x 19 Inch, XL 19 x 16 Inch, L 16 x 12 Inch, twill sculpted pattern creative design dish drying mat, make your kitchen more beautiful and fashionable
- 【⭐ Common Features】: Thickest - 0.4inch, Front: Three-dimensional sculpted Microfiber with super water absorption and fast drying ; Middle: High-quality sponge layer in the middle, quickly absorb moisture; Reverse Side: Soft suede anti-skid design, better elasticity Protects countertops, tableware, glassware from damage and contamination
- 【⭐Best Solution】: XXL: super large, suitable for holding your large pots and pans; XL: suitable for delicate tableware, stemware and refrigerator/cabinet liner; L: suitable for baby bottles, camping, fruits/vegetable
- 【⭐ Good Washing & Durability】: When Dish Drying Mat is in the wet surroundings for a long time, please machine wash regularly. Please be assured that it is very durable and dry quickly. After washing, it can still maintain super absorbent. When not in use, it can be folded and stored in the cupboard
- ⭐ Now you can start buying with confidence! Dissatisfied with 100% replacement - when you have any questions, you just need to contact us, we are a young startup company, KDIJET is focused on providing users with quality products, we will do our best to solve questions for you
Dimension: 9.41 x 9.02 x 5.51 inches
Weight: 1.06 pounds
Body Type: Microfiber
One of the best drying mat what to put under dish drying rack is the KDIJET Dish Drying Mat if your main priority is buying a drying mat instead of drain board.
And this is a three set of XXL-XL-L which I found really fantastic and the product is one of the newest drying mat in the market.
As this a microfiber drying mat, it absorb water from the dishes perfectly well and you won’t see any drop or wetness on the kitchen cabinet or countertop. The microfiber outer shell absorbs up to 4x its weight in moisture, keeping your countertops clean and dry. And its laminate foam core resists odors and holds up to daily use.
Note KDIJET Dish drying mat requires a washing machine for washing it and make sure to always dry the mat after use.
Looking for what to put under dish drying rack, this drying mat is a good buy.
2. Teal Boho Mandala Absorbent Drying Mat
Beautiful microfiber drying mat
- SUPER STRONG ABSORBENT: Made of high-quality microfiber and sponge foam absorb dish water quickly, so counter tops stay dry and dishes stay safe.
- FOR DRYING DISHES: You can place absorbent dish drying mats by the sink or place it on kitchen countertops, using them for drying dishes, baby bottle.
- PROTECTS COUNTERTOPS: Microfiber dish drying mat do not hold any odor or deposits from hard water, and they dry pretty fast they absorb well. Protects your counter from scratches and scuffs.
- MACHINE WASHABLE: Just toss it in your washer and you'll be able to use your dish drying mat again and again! Foldable for easy storage, lay drying pad flat to dry.
- DRYING PAD SIZE: 16x18 In / 18x24 In. just make sure you know what size you need.
Dimension: 12.24 x 10 x 2.17 inches
Weight: 7 ounces
Body Type: Microfiber
Another new microfiber drying mat on the list is the Teal Boho Mandala absorbent mat, very beautiful and made of quality material.
Teal Boho Mandala drying mat is made of high-quality microfiber and sponge foam absorb dish water quickly or other kitchenware. I love how it absorbs water and you won’t see any wetness or traces of water on the countertop.
As this post is all about what to put under dish drying rack, Teal Boho Mandala absorbent drying mat is a good buy and also suitable for any type of dish rack.
Now we are moving into another item for what to put under dish drying rack, and that is the drain board.
2. Drain Board
A drain board is another item which can be used to drain water from dishes, kitchenware or probably used for a dish rack like the countertop dish drying.
The likes of wall mounted dish rack do have its own drain board and it is a must to include a drain board even if it a 3 tier wall mounted dish drying rack.
Right now in 2021, almost all countertop do have a drain board, drip tray or swivel spout for water drainage from the dish rack. However, this is not applicable to bamboo or wooden dish rack, they don’t come with drain board and you have to buy it along with the bamboo rack.
Note that all bamboo or wooden dish rack are countertop and requires a drying mat or a drain board. This also answers the question on what to put under dish drying rack.
Some of the best drain board include the followings;
1. Rubbermaid Drain Board
Antimicrobial Drain Board Large
- Use this board with a dish drainer to keep countertops dry while dishes are drying
- The lip hangs over the edge of the sink, and the sloped drainer board returns water to the sink
- Cushions and protects counter from scratches
- Built in Microban antimicrobial protection fights the growth of stain and odor causing bacteria to keep board and counter looking and smelling fresh
- Made in the USA
Brand: Rubbermaid Food Products
Dimension: 18 x 15 x 1.8 inches
Weight: 11.2 ounces
Body Type: Plastic
One of the oldest drain board in the market is the Rubbermaid Food Products large drain board which is a perfect answer to what to put under dish drying rack.
The drain board is very large and can be used without a dish rack, and the edges on the board allow air to penetrate into the drain board and the dishes.
This is why it is an antimicrobial drain board.
I love how the drain board is built, it is slanted and this makes water quite easy to drip into the sink though you’ll see some water remains on the drain board.
Lastly is that it is a nonslip which prevent the drain board from slipping or sliding off the countertop.
What to put under dish drying rack, kindly get yourself Rubbermaid Food Products large drain board for your dish rack.
Other good quality drain board include;
- How to dry dishes with no counter space
- when should a white towel be used to dry dishes
- Best 2 tier dish drying rack buying guide
- 15 best dish rack for kitchen in 2021
This is where i round it up on what to put under dish drying rack, and I know that by now you’ve known the two very items good for a dish rack.